Springbank Cottage’s location is in the small crofting and fishing township of Elgol which is situated in the south of Skye. The village comprises 30 or so crofts and stretches out for about a mile down to the sea and the tip of the Strathaird Peninsula. With sea on three sides, Skye Cuillin mountains across the loch and the Small Isles to the West, the location is quite spectacular. The cottage is just over half a mile from the shore at Port Elgol.
Getting there by car:
- About 15 miles from Broadford along one of the most scenic routes in the British Isles.
- Around 25 miles from the Skye Bridge (toll-free).
- Just over 100 miles from Inverness (international airport).
- About 200 miles from Glasgow (international airport).
Sat Nav warning
Please note that when coming from the South, many Sat Navs will direct you to Mallaig on the mainland as being the shortest route to Skye. Do not follow these directions unless you intend to cross by the car ferry from Mallaig to Armadale.
Over the sea to Skye
The Mallaig-Armadale ferry has limited capacity and needs to be pre-booked through CalMac. There is a small car ferry crossing at Glenelg to Kylerhea which operates April to October. It takes a small number of cars on a first come first served basis. The road on both the Skye side and the Mainland is spectacular.
Are there any problems on the roads to Skye? – click here
How do I get to Elgol by public transport?
- Twice daily bus service from Broadford and onto Kyle of Lochalsh – Timetable
- Coach connection in Broadford to Glasgow – City Link Glasgow Portree Timetable
- Bus connection in Broadford to Armadale Ferry – Stagecoach Route 52 Timetable
- Armadale (Skye) to Mallaig (Mainland) ferry crossing – Calmac Timetable
- Mallaig to Fort William and Glasgow railway – Scotrail West Highland Timetable
- Kyle of Lochalsh train connection to Inverness – Scotrail North Highland Timetable
Springbank Cottage – well worth the journey
Getting to Elgol is an experience in itself but once there you won’t be disappointed. So, if you are thinking about a trip to Skye and you want to be away from the crowds, choose Elgol. And, if you want a special holiday cottage Springbank offers a lot more than just a “standard” self catering cottage, choose Springbank.
Springbank Cottage self catering accommodation that offers more
Read what our guests think of Springbank
Find out more about Springbank Cottage
Check prices and availability.
Make an enquiry.