Guests staying at Springbank Cottage, our self catering holiday let in Elgol, can use resources that form part of our environmental activities offer of which rock pooling and discovering the seashore is one. The shore around Loch Scavaig is dotted with rock pools that hold an amazing assortment of living organisms. See what you can turn up on your own seashore safari!
What you can do
- The seashore is the interdidal area between high water mark and low water and is a habitat rich in marine organisms many of which are readily catchable.
Where to do it
- Rock pools uncovered at low tide are home to a wide variety of organisms.
- Lifting stones on the shore between the tides can reveal many inhabitants.
- Where fresh water meets the sea often produces good finds.
- The better locations in the vicinity of the cottage are marked on map in the activity room.
What we provide
- Pond nets for rock pooling
- Crab lines (no hook type)
- Drop net for crabbing
- Buckets and containers for specimens
- ID books and guides
Advice about the activity
- Gather some small shellfish for crab bait – winkles and limpets work well.
- Follow the falling tide down but take care on slippery, weed covered rocks.
- Spring tides, which occur just after a full moon, produce very low tides and are especially good for this activity.
Always check the tides
The next low tide is: click here
Things to consider
- Jetties and piers are great for crab lining but the water can be very deep.
- Even small crabs can give a very painful nip.
- Jellyfish are amazing to look at but can give a painful sting.
- Return all organisms alive to the water once you have identified them.
If you are thinking about a trip to Skye and you want more than just a standard holiday cottage, take a closer look. We hope you will be surprised by how much is on offer during a stay at Springbank Cottage.
Springbank Cottage self catering holiday accommodation that offers more
Read what our guests think of Springbank
Find out more about Springbank Cottage
Find out where we are
Check prices and availability.
Make an enquiry.